Thursday, December 18, 2008

on christmas

well, i'm safely in lancaster county, despite the fact that a plane apparently crashed on the turnpike shortly before i got there. http://www.wgal.com/news/18309442/detail.html?rss=lan&psp=news thanks for making sure i wasn't hit by a plane rob. i suppose that's why God let me sleep in past my alarm this morning.

getting on to this christmas buisness. i decided this year to make all of my gifts. i am resurrecting the crafty person within me and putting thought and effort into my gifts. we spend so much time caught up in the trap of consumerism and forget that Jesus gave Himself...not crappy gifts like tickle me elmo or the unicorn princess "my horn can pierce the sky" (see the morrocan christmas episode of the office). ambridge christian center is also kind of going along with this theme. here is an amazing video they showed last sunday:



so true.

3 comments:

adam said...

i always hated when people were stressed because "christmas" is coming. the way i see it, a holiday that we proclaim to be about peace and goodwill shouldn't cause hypertension and accidents and heartache.

Anonymous said...

dude, i 'recycled' most of my christmas gifts this year. between the regular holiday check from my remaining grandparent, a wal-mart gift card, and some gamestop store credit, i got everything for my family. no money out of pocket = it rocked.

Anonymous said...

I think its an excellent idea. Christ never expected us to have a holliday like this where we give gifts to each other. We do it because we want to. So if someone wants to give their chirstmas spending money to a worthy cause or to someone in need then they should do that. We probably all know of someone in need, mabey even has trouble putting food on the table. Imagine the look on their face if they came home to a bag of grocerys at their door.